Introduction to Wave-Particle Duality (Extended Lesson)
In this multi-period lesson, students perform hands-on activities to observe the behaviour of particles and waves and develop the vocabulary to describe this behaviour. They then apply their models to predict the behaviour of electrons. The surprising results introduce one of the mysterious properties of quantum mechanics: the wave-particle duality.
- Lesson plans: Introduction to Wave-Particle Duality (Extended Lesson)
- Videos: The Challenge of Quantum Reality (approx. 25 min)
- Activities: Investigating the Nature of the Electron; Video Summary; Investigation of Wave-Particle Duality (worksheets and solutions)
- Demonstrations: Black Box
- Supplementary Materials: Wave-Particle Duality Investigation and more
- Teacher-provided Materials: Black Box (drainage pipe and end caps, rope); transparencies, push pins, straw
(Note: all lesson plans and worksheets provided as PDFs and modifiable MS Word documents)
Intended Audience: Senior High (Gr 11-12)
Lesson Topics: Quantum, Waves
This individual lesson plan is part of The Challenge of Quantum Reality lesson compilation.