Introduction to Wave-Particle Duality
The power of scientific modeling is introduced with the Black Box, a simple and compelling demonstration. Next, students are introduced to the exciting physics of quantum mechanics, including the double-slit experiment and wave-particle duality, with a 25 minute video featuring cutting-edge animations and leading researchers.
- Lesson plans: Introduction to Wave-Particle Duality
- Videos: The Challenge of Quantum Reality (approx. 25 min)
- Activities: Video Summary; Investigation of Wave-Particle Duality (worksheets and solutions)
- Demonstrations: Black Box
- Supplementary Materials: Wave-Particle Duality Investigation and more
- Teacher-provided Materials: Black Box (drainage pipe and end caps, rope); transparencies, push pins, straw
(Note: all lesson plans and worksheets provided as PDFs and modifiable MS Word documents)
Intended Audience: Senior High (Gr 11-12)
Lesson Topics: Quantum, Waves
This individual lesson plan is part of The Challenge of Quantum Reality lesson compilation.